Every magazine we buy nowadays always has a list of recommended products: for our hair, skin, nails, etc. Wherever we go, there’s some ad or person telling us what we should or should not use.
Unfortunately, many companies don’t care about the quality of their products – they use cheap, cost-effective ingredients to maximize profits. The industry is so unregulated that most companies get away with almost anything! In fact, there are several products currently on the market that just aren’t right for you, no matter how well they work.
Here are a few tips for a healthier, more beautiful you!
1. Try to go natural. DIY. Experiment. We are all different; just because it works on your friend doesn’t mean it will work for you! In the future, we plan to post about trying some of these natural alternatives. Hopefully, they will help you out!
Warning: some products that are advertised as “natural” can have toxic chemicals in them! Always read the back, if its certified organic then it is the real deal.
2. Do your research. If you have acne, for example, try to find out what’s causing it, instead of just getting a great concealer. Quick fixes are convenient, but they only work for so long! Remember that beauty isn’t just superficial – glowing skin and shiny hair are attractive because they’re a sign of good health. Feel free to ask us about personal beauty issues, and we’ll post articles of natural solutions!
3. Avoid stress – and if you succeed, tell us how! This one is hard in our hectic world, but stress takes a toll on your health. It increases cortisol levels, which can cause high blood pressure, acid reflux, sleeping problems, osteoporosis, and weight gain – it might even reduce collagen in your skin! We’ve learned to put sleep last when we’re busy, but that’s when it’s most important: a good night’s sleep can dramatically reduce your stress levels.
4. Know which products to avoid.
- Synthetic coloring ingredients
- Urea (we’re not kidding!)
- Avoid these chemical compounds as well:
- Phthalates – found in an alarming number of products, even though their impact on health is still being studied.
- Toluene – check your nail polish brand!
- Benzene – highly toxic and can cause cancer.
- Formaldehyde – used for preserving dead organisms… ick!
- Diethanolamine and Triethanolamine (DEA and TEA)
More products are listed below.
Remember, your skin is the largest organ of your body, and it absorbs whatever you smear onto it. Sure, it may be less expensive to buy chemical products, but would you eat instant ramen every day just because it’s cheap? Besides, just like eating healthy, natural beauty doesn’t have to punch a hole in your wallet. Check back soon for our cheap and easy DIY beauty ideas, as well as our natural products reviews!
This is a list that contains the most harmful chemicals one should avoid. It fits inside your wallet. It was made by David Suzuki, a famous Canadian environmental activist. Please, print it and use it wisely! If you want some in-depth information regarding his research to see the following pdf.
If you want to read more about other harmful products, check the following website.